I don't know about you, but my favorite gifts for Mother's Day are those made by my kids. I know that they are gifts that come from the heart and are full of love. My kids actually enjoy doing things together and making stuff in the kitchen so occasionally on a weekend they will even team up and make a treat for the family. I think it's great and try to just stay out of the room so I don't go into "mommy mode" and try to take over. They are both capable of doing it, but as a mom sometimes it's just hard to sit back and watch.
To give you a little inspiration for either yourself, or your kiddos to make this Mother's Day here are some tasty recipes using New Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate.
Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes • Total Time: 25 minutes
Yields 20 cookies
1–3/4 cups Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate cereal, divided
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
• Heat oven to 350 F.
• Using a food processor, grind the Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate cereal into a fine powder. (Note: 1–3/4 cup cereal yields 1/2 cup ground cereal.)
• In a large bowl, combine ground cereal, sugar, peanut butter and egg. Once all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, fold in mini chocolate chips.
• Scoop about 2 Tablespoons of cookie dough and drop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, placing each cookie about 2 inches apart. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
One Pan Black Forest Cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes • Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Makes 15 servings
Black Forest Cake:
2 cups Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate cereal
2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
1 box (15.25 ounces) Devil's Food Cake Mix, unprepared
3/4 cup butter, melted
1–1/4 cups prepared whipped cream
1/4 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate cereal
1/4 cup sliced almonds
10 maraschino cherries
• Heat oven to 350 F.
• Using a food processor, grind the Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate cereal into a fine powder; set aside.
• Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with cooking spray. Spread both cans of cherry pie filling in the bottom of the pan. Top cherry pie filling with a layer of the ground Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate cereal. Drizzle cherry juice over the ground cereal. Top with the dry, unprepared cake mix, ensuring it is evenly spread out over the entire pan. Drizzle with melted butter.
• Bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before topping and serving.
• To serve, scoop the Black Forest Cake into a bowl. Top with 2 Tablespoons of whipped cream, 1 teaspoon cereal, 1 teaspoon almonds and finish with a maraschino cherry.
Tips and Suggestions
Substitute: Swap cherry liqueur for maraschino cherry juice for an adult treat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes • Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Yields 20 macaroons
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Chocolate cereal, lightly crushed
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
• Heat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
• In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar and salt until very frothy. Fold in coconut and cereal until moistened.
• Drop mixture into 2 inch rounds on prepared baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
• Using a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30-second intervals until smooth.
• Dip bottom part of macaroons into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper. Cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until set.
We were actually going to try a few of these recipes out with the box I received, but someone found it and decided it was really good and ate the entire box for breakfast in just a few days. I had no idea they had even opened it until I saw the empty box on the counter. Well, I guess at least I know a new cereal the kids will enjoy - and it's good for them!